Old July 20th 03, 03:53 AM
Richard Henry

Default Anybody out there?

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:

Testing...

Just bought a new computer. Old computer, running W98, was showing

its
age. Almost a minute to load each email or ng message. Now it's
instantaneous.

Huh? We bought my mom a computer at Fry's running win98 (when it was
newish) and it doesn't take anywhere near a minute to download a

message,
and she only has a 28.8 connection. Do you have really picky

anti-virus
software?

My wife and kids didn't realize it was MY computer. They kept loading
layers of game-access trash.

I stood at Fry's for a half hour doing my best to look like a man
without a computer. I brought 2 of the kids along so they could act

up
and the clerks would be happy to be rid of us (sorry, Pigo).

Finally
got some attention and worked my way out past all the other goodies.

If Home Depot is the $100 store (you don't get out for less than

$100)
then Fry's is the $1000 store.

You just have no sales resistance. I can't remember the last time we
spent that much all at one time on anything computer-related!

Well, it wasn't all computer-related. Just the computer and the sweet
17" flat-panel display (I spent several years making military aircraft
displays in the days when the best available was 8", at several
k-bucks.) However, Fry's is a kind of general store. So we ended up
with a pack of printer cartridges (cheaper than Wal-Mart), some school
supplies, a couple of bags of beef jerky, and some $10 game CDs.

Plus I have a couple of rebate coupons that will bring the total back
down under $1000, eventually.