Old May 6th 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
delltodd[_2_]

Default Roll your own rollerskis

On Friday, April 26, 2013 1:21:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I would like to try rollerskiing, but absolutely cannot handle the

off-the-shelf ones. For various reasons, I need ones a couple of

metres long, with ratchet wheels on the front and a REAR braking

system operated by moving my calves. There doesn't seem to be

any easy way of getting components (affordably) to build my own.

I would probably use wood for the bearing member, or possibly

aluminium section - very light weight and elegance aren't needed.

Has anyone done this, or got any useful information?

Regards,

Nick Maclaren.

Nick,

I would encourage you to bail on the rollerski project given your constraints. Instead, pick up some ski poles and walk / hike / perhaps run with them.. Your ski fitness will be greatly jacked up for skiing next season. It's far more enjoyable. Rollerskis are hazardous contraptions under optimal circumstances, and are generally a lot less fun after about the first 10 hours maybe less.
DT