Old January 10th 05, 08:57 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
news | On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:14:37 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:
|

| She was disgusted with what she saw as the example she felt was being
| set, actually. A pretty mature position to hold for a youngster,
| certainly beats jumping to conclusions about the motives/thinking of
| others as you've just done!
|
| Shows a certain level of brainwashing, i'd say, rather than maturity.
| A mature mind would allow that others have the right to think for
| themselves, rather than just doing what may be perceived to be
| politically correct, which is very much what 'setting an example' is
| about. Ski racers have other priorities, far more important to them,
| than what sort of an example they set to 12-y-o spectators.

To 12 year old members of the British national ski racing team as it
happens, who are advised and given talks by national trainers on just
this topic.

| I hope you explained this to her, in order to broaden your mature mind
| even further, and hopefully help her be able to make decisions for
| herself later in life.

Fortunately I don't need to explain to her the immaturity of making
patronising assumptions about other people before she meets them, Ace
;-)

| And the comfort factor in the slowest of the [race] disciplines was
the
| main motivator here, very little to do with judgment about the
| precautions to be taken.
|
| I'm sure that any comfort-based decision would be weighed up against
| any safety concerns.

Doesn't seem to handicap the majority of elite slalom racers that do
wear a helmet while they carry on winning World Cup events.

Pete