Old January 10th 05, 07:57 AM
Ace

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:46:41 -0000, "James Hart"
wrote:

David Mahon wrote:
In article , James Hart
writes
David Mahon wrote:
In article , John
Ricketts writes

Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change
my own 3-pin plugs at home now!

Can't you? Still see them on sale (together with all the kit you
need to rewire your house if desired).

Not sure what country they live in but the UK has just had Part P
kick into action and the amount of bull**** that's being spread
about it is unbeleivable. Certain electrical jobs around the home
are now subject to restrictions but even the relevant authorities
don't seem to know what's supposed to happen and how they're
supposed to police them. Rewiring a plug is still allowed, replacing a
socket is still
allowed but other stuff like adding an extra socket must be done by
a certified person (for that read "has paid their fees to a
certifying body") or under a Building Control Notice (and with the
requires fees being paid).

Then someone ought to tell the DIY stores (this is link from B&Q)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templa...ontent=/bq_adv
ice/common/howtos/fitxtrasockets/

Naughty website, just shows the confusion that's about at the moment though.

It's mainly you that's confused. As I understand it (and as a non-UK
resident) the requirement is that any such work is done to the
certified standards. Nothing's saying the installer must actually be
certified, so there's no reason why a householder can't do any amount
of re-wiring he/she desires, as long as it meets said standards.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)