Old January 10th 05, 07:46 AM
PG

"Nick Hounsome" wrote in message
k...

| "PG" wrote in message
|
| Back on the subject of helmets, my 12 year old watched a shot of
Baxter
| on Ski Sunday in the slalom, and was disgusted that he wasn't
wearing a
| helmet - ok it wasn't a speed discipline, but they really can
travel...

| Pete
|
| Your child needs a dictionary more urgently than a helmet unless
he/she was
| really "sickened and filled with loathing" in which case he/she
urgently
| needs a psychiatrist.
|
| Unlike anyone else I don't claim any knowledge about the safety of
helmets
| but I would rather read sensible discussion than irrelevant ranting.
|
| IMHO what is needed is not helmets but fines for skiing recklessly and
| endangering others.

Shouldn't rise to this but as a qualified, professional linguist, I
suggest you get a more comprehensive dictionary. Alternative meanings
(OED) include "profound dissatisfaction", "strong indignation", to name
but two.

Evidence, whether anecdotal or not, is part and parcel of debate. Ad
hominem comments like your own are the reason why "sensible discussion"
is rare on unmoderated usenet. Look up sophistry.

As a race club director based in the Alps I speak with some knowledge of
the safety issues involved. IMHO both helmets and fines are needed.

Pete