Old January 10th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jrobb

Default control with the back leg?

Hey Jay,

Welcome to the addiction.

I would say your first no-no is the way you were riding. You should
have more weight on the front foot than the back for normal groomed
slope riding. Only in deeper powder do you want to lean back to keep
the nose afloat. I'd say weight bias is 60-40 front-back. TO start
you want to steer by moving the tail around. As you advance you will
find yourself leaning further back while you carve your turns rather
than skid them . Most likely your leaning back started as a natural
reaction to being "scared" of going too fast. Beginners reflex is to
lean back to slow down but that just makes it harder to control the
board at low speeds.

Try leaning more forward next time and I'd be surprised if you don't
find drastic improvement. Give it a few runs to get used to this
different feeling but it should click quickly as you already have a
couple days under your belt.