Old September 4th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default California Helmet Law

On Sep 3, 9:31*pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
*Richard Henry wrote:

On Sep 3, 4:13*am, Dick G wrote:
http://www.skinet.com/ski/blogs/2010...s-to-cap-avoid....

Makes a ton of sense for kids, but simultaneously I hate the fact that
government once again intrudes in our private lives and tells us what
we can and cannot do

I bought my kids helmets after one of them slid off the edge of a
trail and down through a grove of trees on an icy day at Big Bear.
The day after we got them, the other son hit his head on a lift chair
frame, and the only injury was a scratch on the helmet.

But no one told me I HAD to do it.

A couple of years ago, one of the younger instructors up at Cypress came
into the instructors' shack after have crashed on one of the cruisers --
where he'd hit a rock or a tree (I forget which) after he'd gone down
and headed off to the side of the run.

His helmet was cracked across almost in two...

...but his head was still in one piece.

I think I'm buying a helmet this year.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Ny skiing injuries have been limited to a sprained ankle (hit a water
bar I didn't see when a wind gust blew snow across my vision and I
went flying) and a bruised knee (hit a rock hidden in a shallow-snow
cat track and landed on another one). No helmet would have helped
those.