Old November 13th 07, 10:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Courchevel Child ski-school

On Nov 13, 8:38 am, wrote:
On Nov 12, 3:52 pm, LittleRob wrote:

b) The lessons are only 2 hours, so it seems that we'd have barely left
the kids and we'd have to pick them up again. This might be OK perhaps
next year when they can do a bit more, but I think that this year
(especially with a 5 year old) that we really wouldn't get to ski all
that much.

Rob

2 hours is a pretty long time at that age - any more and they are
going to be shattered and far more likely to get the hump and decide
that they hate skiing - which will restrict your ski time even more
longer term...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah - have to say I agree with this. Ease them in slowly so they
don't hate it and it pays off for you in the long run (probably not
very long at that). I always quote the experience of my nieces (4 and
6 at the time) who came to visit a couple of seasons ago. They had
maybe one or two hours tops on the nursery slopes with me and Auntie.
The rest of the time we all ate, drank, sledged, rode horses, ice
skated, made snowmen and played in doors. The next week at school all
the other children of their ages that had been skiing had hated it
(too cold, too wet, too much like hard work) and never wanted to go
back whilst my nieces woudn't shut up about how great the Alps were.

Okay, so their parents aren't keen skiers, and we didn't mind taking
time out as 1 week in 22 is hardly a sacrifice, but I still think it
illustrates a point. Don't think 'ski holiday' think 'holiday in the
snow'.

I'm about to do a season with my (currently) 8 week old boy, so I
reserve the right to change my mind completely in May..!!!

Matt