Old July 12th 03, 10:39 AM
Serena

Default Colorado or Banff? In December-January

Hi,

I've finally got a computer and Internet access back in my house....
what a relief. So I've been doing some investigating, and if I decide
to stay for 3 weeks, Colorado and Banff would cost just about the
same! (I'm coming up from NZ BTW).

Colorado:
Early season lift pass for Breck, Keystone and A-Basin: $299
3 weeks of hostel accommodation plus tax: approx $500 (at Alpen Hutte)

Total: $820 U.S. or $1100-$1200 CDN

Banff:
Banff HI Hostel has this deal for 30 days of lodging and Sunshine lift
tix for approx. $1200. I asked for quotation for 3 weeks. The rate for
5 days of lift tix and 6 nights of lodging at Globe Village
Backpackers was $400 CND, so 3 weeks we're looking at around
$1100-$1200CND.

Any advice on where to go? I am a novice/intermediate snowboarder, I
only learned to snowboard last year in East Coast of US and nearly
busted my arse in process. So I'm looking for little bit softer snow
condition. Which has better condition in Dec-Jan?

Airfare would cost about the same, but with flight to Denver, I get to
earn some milage with Delta whereas I'll have to fly with Alaskan
Airlines to Calgary and I don't have their frequent flyer programme.

I also plan to buy most of my gear once I get there, including
snowboard, boots, binding, pants, possibly a jacket, etc, etc, etc,
and some other items such as Palm pilot.... Are they going to be
cheaper in Canada or Colorado? (also some other trivial items such as
food.)

So considering all of the above, where's the best in Dec-Jan? I need
to decide now to secure plane tix - I went to the travel agent today
and I'm waitlisted (yes, waitlisted!) for flight to Calgary in Jan.

And does anybody know of email address of Summit County International
Hostel in Dillon, CO?