Old June 26th 04, 10:12 AM
phil

Default Beginners Board

185CM/100KG or 6'1"/220LB depending on your accent.
Skill level is beginner-low intermediate.
Intended use is freeride, the half pipe just isn't my scene. [...]
The board I'm looking at with interest is a Supermodel 168

[To be read in a Lancastrian accent...]
I have one of those; it was the definitive powder board for those of
us at 62Kgs/180cm. That's bottomless powder; resort stuff you don't
need something like this. Soft tail, slightly stiffer nose, very wide.

4. How would I tell the manufacture year of this board? Did the
graphics change much?

You can tell the year from the graphics - need to know the precise
colours etc to identify it, and the different lengths were produced in
different colours
each year. Mine's a 1997 I think and it's turquoise with a wave
graphic. Describe it here or post a picture.

1. Is this likely to be a board I can use for a while without
outgrowing it?
2. Is the 'over-flexibility' and degradation of these boards an
issue?
3. Would I be better off with some other design in a ~160ish length?

My "beginner-low intermediate" days are so far away I'm not best
placed to advise, but this was the expert's powder board. I'm sure
people used them on the piste too, but I find it hard to see how
they'd be good there. The thought of carving such a board on hardpack
for example would not fill me with enthusiasm. If I can throw a 168 SM
about, then it's unlikely to have flex suitable for someone much
bigger, even if you ride slowly.

The board won't last for ever, although mine is still just as poppy as
it ever was (I retired it because modern designs are better IMHO for
deep powder). Bigger riders will kill them quicker, but you should be
able to tell by looking at the board (does it still have camber etc).

Board length's a bit like surfboard or windsurf board length: it all
depends on other factors. Look at the manufacturers' recommendations
for your mass & experience and take it from there.