Old March 10th 04, 02:14 PM
Chet Hayes

Default why hardboots?

Oh yea, another related question: why are step-in bindings so unpopular?
It seems like they have the advantage of easy mounting once off the lift, plus
I would imagine the whole setup is a bit lighter and also potentially more rigid
than the usual strap binding setup. So why is it that most good riders stick
with either strap bindings or hardboots?

I used Clicker step-ins when I was learning. I don't believe step-in
the boot/binding combo is any lighter than a strap type equivalent.
For example, I think there is more variability in weight between boot
models and manufacturers than there necessarily is between the two
fundamental types. I found the step-ins very convenient while
learning.

Having switched to strap-ins, I would say that the strap in approach
does a better job of holding your foot firmly to the board. Part of
this is likely the addition of the toe strap, which helps tighten the
boot/foot down in the front. The step-in boots in general are
somewhat more difficult to walk in as well.

Another problem is snow getting in the locking mechanism, sometimes
making it difficult to get them locked after getting off the lift.
The degree of this problem varies among the different types of
step-ins. And that raises another big problem. While step-ins are
only a small segment of the market, even worse, there are several
different incompatible systems, further fragmenting the market and
making it unattractive for shops to stock. Most shops are now
carrying less step-ins than a few years ago, and its hard to find much
selection if your looking for eqpt. The only place they are popular
is with rental eqpt.