Old February 19th 05, 02:39 AM
Mike T

Partially because I wanted to try a new pair of bindings The first
thing is that the big circular footprint of the bindings really stiffen
up the flex of the board, which maybe be fine for most boards... but it
made my Donek Incline (one of the stiffest boards in existence) even
stiffer and I couldn't control the radius of my turns like I used to
(tightening them on demand). Maybe if I start out on a softer board it
would able been okay... but I didn't like the way the flex felt on my
Donek.

I took them out for a spin last night, on some pretty crusty snow, it had
been above freezing all day and as soon as it got dark it got really cold.

I rode them on an older Incline 168, which is clearly softer than a new
Incline 168 would be, but still a stiff board. This particular pair has
Salomon SPX6 highbacks and straps, which is part of the reason I bought them
from lonerider - I really like the Salomon straps.

In any case, my initial impressions are thumbs up. I own Salomon SP6's so
the highback and straps are essentially the same. The felt somewhat more
responsive that the straight Salomon. But not too much. I rode them flat
for half the evening and then added a little toe lift in ftont and heel lift
i back, which improved my toesides and hurt my heelsides. Definitely going
to play with that some more. The difference in feel surprised me a bit - I
actually found the Cateks to feel a little damper than the Salomons. That
really surprised me. I didn't notice the board flexing any differently but
I am 195 pounds to lonerider's 150-something. I was expecting some
jarring like lonerider experienced. Then again those SP6's are pretty damn
stiff themselves.

I might go back to the Cateks in the
future... and hopefully when they have refined the design a bit by
adding some damping material to the base-plate (either between
board/disk, or plate/foot) and order adjusting the heelcup so that the
top strap fits a little higher on the foot.

I can think of a few other places where there is room for improvement:

1) I can feel the bottom of the metal heel cup holder through my boot. I
did not hit any jumps last night and I'm not sure I want to with that metal
ready to bruise me heel. That part needs to be shaped more ergonomically.
I think simply lowering the heel cup would help.

2) Most soft bindings seem to have some kind of raised material running down
the sides, which helps guide your foot into position when you strap in.
These have nothing. It makes it harder to strap in standing up. I'd like
to see something added there.

Overall - my favorite soft binding to date. These will go on my Donek Wide
which is my favorite freeride board to date I too would like to see the
next generation. Also, a new pair seems a bit pricey. Again, part of the
reason I bought lonerider's used pair was because I wouldn't have to
cannibalize my Salomons for the straps!

Mike T