Old December 25th 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default temporary wax for waxless skis when all stores are closed?

I'd never thought about it, but I can imagine a dry unwaxed base
attracting snow.

If the skis haven't been hot glide waxed before (tips and tails), I'd
suggest taking them to one of those ski shops to do it. Basic alpine
waxing is similar enough and probably one of the techs also nordic
skis. Let them know this is the skis' first waxing and ask if you can
watch. Also tell them you will be skiing at around 32F and that the
base could use some structure to help with the wetness/suction, if they
have a tool for it (structure = pattern put in the ski to allow
melting/wet snow to drain off the base, rather than cause a suction
effect; extra structure beyond what a brushing creates is especially
helpful in warmer, wetter conditions).

I don't know about (or trust) Dakine soy-based ski wax, but if it
works... Otherwise, the quick glides people have been suggesting,
especially the flourinated ones for wetter conditions, such as Swix F4
and Toko's equivalent, will get you out the door (alpine shows should
have F4). However, without a hot wax they are just a thin cover a
totally dry base. Gliding is a big part of the fun of skiing, so having
a proper wax job is a big deal; the results will put a smile on your
face. At minimum, depending on how much you ski and how abrasive the
snow conditions are, at least one or two hot waxes a season are called
for. Some of us do it much more frequently.

At the REI site, go back to the ski waxes link and you'll see F4. The
Swix universal wax is for hot waxing, which it doesn't sound like you
are set up to use yet (dedicated iron, scraper, brushes, place to wax
where your ski is clamped).

A good site with lots of information on all of this and more for a
beginning recreational skier is
http://www.xcskiworld.com/recreation.html. For dedicated x-c shops, do
a google search for "cross country ski shops" and maybe add your state
or region for something closest to you.

Gene

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 06:40:04 -0800 (PST)
Meg wrote:

So I guess I have 2 problems. I need glide wax, and also the snow is
sticking to the kick zone.

Can the same product be used to solve both problems.

The stores ARE open tomorrow - I was wrong when I said Monday.
Locally, it appears these are my two options other than makeshift
solutions. Anything I'm likely to find locally are going to be either
for snowboards or downhill skis as you can't buy cross country skis
here.

This universal temperature wax by swix is at rei.

http://www.rei.com/product/777576

Or this soy based wax at the other store that sells ski supplies.

http://www.alpineshop.com/products2....x/brand/DAKINE

Am I better off just waiting until tomorrow and getting one of these
to use on the whole ski and ordering something online more
specifically for cross country skis for the future?