Old September 16th 04, 07:38 AM
Terje Mathisen

Marsh Jones wrote:
My wife got me a small one for my birthday. I've used it rollerskiing,
running and paddling. Paddling was most interesting with the GPS. You
could immediately see when you got in/out of wind, current, deep water,
etc. I did notice that the elevation differed by about 75-80ft paddling
across a lake:-) Probably not going to rely on it to map the birkie...

Which is why you'd really want a GPS with built-in barometer if you do
any kind of activity where a 3D track log is useful.

All the higher-end Garmins (with an S for Sensor suffix) have this.

Using this together with OziExplorer allows me to get really nice
elevation plots from trips I make.

Terje

PS. The real use for a GPS is Degree Confluencing, not that upstart
GeoCaching stuff. :-)

http://www.confluence.org/

Terje
(Scandinavian regional coordinator)