Old February 28th 06, 12:32 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

Offhand it seems to me that the biathlete Hakkinen did the best for the
US at the Oly's this time with a 10th and 13th. But of course I never
heard of him til today.

According to some online accounts, in his first race Hakkinen had a
split bullet (it hit the target glancingly but did not knock it down);
had that target fallen, he would have been on the podium.

I noticed that US skiers were never mentioned or pictured in the two
times I watched XC coverage of 3 events on NBC. Even if they weren't
doing so hot they should've been mentioned, profiled, etc. Sheesh.

Be careful what you wish for -- you might get it. In coverage of
Olympic gymnastics years ago, the networks routinely ignored many of the
world's best gymnasts and concentrated instead on the Americans, even
when the latter were falling off the apparatus, while Akinori Nakayama
was performing his spectacular, world-beating high bar routine or
Miroslav Cerar was on pommel horse. On the whole, I would suggest that
the networks' recent tendency to focus upon the real contenders is an
improvement, particularly when the duration of the coverage of "minor"
sports like gymnastics and Nordic skiing is pretty limited.

--JP