Old September 13th 05, 03:05 AM
bdubya

On 12 Sep 2005 19:03:55 -0700, "GeckoDisciple"
wrote:

was thinking about salomon performa boots, but I know I'll like the
sport..who doesn't? besides I need outdoor activities to do during the
winter. Randonee?? Come'on people help me! I'm 6'2" 190. I'm a road
warrior race cyclist, mountain biker, fisherman, hiker, rafter, and
golfer in the summer and a ????? in winter. I want to grow into an easy
to ride but technical pair of skis. The Salomon 10s hot or pocket
rockets are what I am leaning towards atm. Thanks.

Will you prefer something that's got a wider waist for better
floatation, or narrower? A deep sidecut, or a shallower one? Wide
shovel and tail, or wide shovel and narrow tail? Do you like short
turns, or long? Groomers or bumps? Do you prefer a well-damped ski,
or a lively one? Maybe just a full-on fat powder ski?

If you're not sure how to answer these questions, then don't sweat the
skis for the first year. Work on getting boots that fit;
well-fitting boots will make more of a difference than the ski will
anyway, so focus on the boots if you really want to make a lot of
early progress. Rent "demo" skis (aka "performance rentals") once
you have a few days on the snow behind you, and take notes. If you
happen to catch a fresh dump, rent a mid-fat (or wider) for the day;
if not, rent something else. Learn how a narrower tail feels v. a
wider one, how a fat waist feels a skinny one, how a 165cm ski
feels v. a 180 (if you can find anybody to rent you one that long
these days). Then when the end-of-season sales roll around, you'll
have a much better idea how you would answer all of those questions
above, and can make up your own mind instead of trusting to some
magazine reviews and some loons on usenet.

bw