Old January 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Terry Morse

Default Whistler in early/late March, or Tahoe?

"dingblade" wrote:

Tahoe Whistler

Acreage 2000 7071
Vertical Rise 2212' 5280'
Trails 46 200+
Longest Run 2.5 miles 7 miles
Lifts 9 33
$ per 1 GBP 1.84 USD 2.34 CDN
Season Nov-April Nov-Aug

That's a very misleading chart in some ways--and factually wrong in
others. First of all, there is no such ski resort called "Tahoe".
There are about a dozen individual ski areas in the Tahoe region.
For a single Tahoe area, the largest vertical is 3500', the longest
run is 5.5 miles, the largest single acreage is 4800 acres, all at
Heavenly Valley. The season runs into June most years; I've skied on
20' of base in June before, at Alpine Meadows. Squaw Valley often
opens its upper terrain for the 4th of July weeekend, conditions
permitting.

Combined, there are 151 lifts and 23,000 acres of terrain in the
Tahoe area.

keep in mind, you could fit over 3.5 tahoes inside of 1 whistler.

Actually, you could fit 3.2 Whistler/Blackcombs in Tahoe's
lift-served terrain.

to add insult to injury, it's
also a good deal cheaper for you to ski and stay [at Whistler].

Lift ticket prices are $39 at Sugar Bowl (every day) and Alpine
Meadows (every day except holidays), and lodging can be had for as
little as $50 per night.

as far as what the weather will be in march in either place, i'll let you
know as soon as you tell me the winning numbers for next weeks powerball
lottery .

Whistler will be foggy and wet most of the month, with occasional
rain at the base. If you see the sun one day in seven, consider
yourself lucky. Tahoe area will be sunny most of the month. Average
number of sunny March days in Tahoe: 23.

--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/