Old January 21st 04, 01:28 PM
Mary Malmros

Default new skis require a different skiing style?

"mark" writes:

"Goldenset" wrote ...
I just bought some Atomics R:8's w/ Atmoic R:3.10 bindings and new
Salomon Xwave 8.0 boots to replace my almost 10 year old Dynastar 4.1
and Lange boots. I was informed that these carvers are best used when
feet are should width apart rather than that smooth and cool looking
way of keeping the boots together (which I'm still trying to work
on!). Is this true? Today's carvers are most effective when there's
some space between the skis.

Skis have always worked best when there's some space between the skis. Look
at photos and videos of racers over the years, they've almost always kept
their feet hip or shoulder width apart, except in fairly specific
situations.

Yup. That feet-glued-together stance was kind of like '70s disco
platform shoes: some people really liked the look and went through
all kinds of contortions to get it, but you can't really argue that
it was functional. You simply can't get much edge angle with your
feet glued together. This puts you at a disadvantage with any ski,
but on a shaped ski what you lose is just more exaggerated.

--
Mary Malmros