Old December 16th 04, 01:50 PM
cpella

I'm also wondering about this - and coincidentally Gatineau is my home
turf. My
skate pole length is just above chin level but I was thinking of
getting another longer pair for flatter terrain. Perhaps my thinking
originally was that shorter would help with the terrain in the park,
and also stop me from leaning too much on my poles. I'm also stronger
in the upper body from kayaking so I tend to depend too much on that to
the detriment of leg strength and balance.
My classic poles are also a bit shorter than they used to be and I
think it is helping my technique on the hills.

Chris

steve wrote:
So what is the general consensus out there on pole length for

skating??

I went out last weekend for a skate and just for fun used my classic
poles and, I must say, it really has me questioning whether I've been
using poles that are too long for the past 2 years.

My V2 was much more balanced, controlled, rythmic - very seldom did I
experience one of those abberrations of falling to the outside or
missing my timing, etc. I seemed to be utilizing much more of my core
in the early pole phase (as opposed to lats,shoulders) and there

wasn't
the same pressure to rush to get up 'on top' of my poles. Felt very
smooth and natural even if I did sacrafice some poling power on the
flats/light downhills.

My current skate poles are at what is suggested for my height -

160cms,
I'm 5,11' . Standing on my ski boots the poles go to my nose . I went
with the long end of the range thinking that I would be able to
take advantage of my relatively strong upper body and arms (my lower
body is weaker).

Now I'm wondering whether i should go with something slightly below

my
chin ???? I wouldn't go down as short as my classic length, but I'm
starting to think maybe my body type (arm length, etc.) may be better
suited to a slightly shorter pole. Also I ski in hilly terrain for

the
most part (Gatineau park) , possibly another argument for a slightly
shorter pole.

Any thoughts ??

steve

--