Old December 4th 05, 11:40 PM

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:22:49 GMT, "Oleg Konovalov"
wrote:

Are you saying that the higher the elevation, the more chances of snow?
Is that because it's supposed to be colder there ?
But we are talking about XC skiing there, not alpine...
So we need a plateau with high elevation.

Yes, on average, with no other factors, 1000 feet of elevation gain
means 3 to 5 degrees F colder. Farther north and farther inland are
other factors if you are looking for natural snow.

In this case, how about the Prospect Mountain?
On their web site they claim that they have snow when nobody has it,
although they are a way to the south from Stowe.
Is that a good place to stay and ski with the family for 4-5 days ?

Is that the marketing people or the weather service saying that? Some
areas do have localized weather patterns which can lead to greater
snowfall.

OK, suppose it's warm before Christmas.
Any good places in Canada which are not too far (Quebec, Ontario) ?

Plenty of options up in Canada. The mountainous area about an hour
north of Montreal is a safe bet for snow.

P.S.: All that might be an empty precaution, it was snowing in Princeton
this night ;-)
But I would like to have a backup plan just in case.

Always wise.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA