Old June 26th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Ski Boots

On 25 Jun, 10:20, "Paul S" morespam@nothanks wrote:
Hi to all those pining for the return of snow. In the mean time I have a
question about ski boots

My son skied in a pair of Salomon Ski boots for a 12 week stint this winter
(instructor's course in Fernie) and although the boots are rather scuffed
seemed to be in an okay condition. Unfortunately one of the boots has
cracked at the swivel at the ankle and the manufacturers say that it was a
fault in manufacturing and have refunded some of his money! For some reason
they seemed unwilling to simply supply a new shell (?) so I was wondering
whether anyone knew where we could buy a single shell for a Salomon boot?
Also is it worth it, do boots have a use lifetime beyond which they should
be thrown away - it seems to me that most people develop their skiing and
move up the range or boots age over several 1/2 week per year seasons so are
replaced.

Cheers

Paul Schofield

Hi Paul,

Seems a bit tight of Salomon imho - if there's a manufacturing defect
then I would expect them to send two new boots without an argument.

Regards useful life of boots, if you ski hard for a whole season then
the padding is usually shot at the end of it - most of the instructors
I know replace them every year. I've skied fairly lightly on mine for
3 full seasons and know I should've replaced them a year ago, but new
goggles and 'pants' trumped new boots :-) If I was any good, I'm sure
it would've been the other way around.

So that probably works out at 20 weeks of cruisy skiing = new pair
needed.

Cheers,

Matt