Old November 21st 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default ski pass

Ace wrote:

On 21 Nov 2006 04:14:58 -0800, "Matt T"
wrote:

I know the (quite byzantine) rules vary from resort
to resort, but the lift operating companies seem pretty hot on making
sure you pay the right rate. I'm 99% certain they wouldn't get away
with it in Tignes for example,

What do you mean, "get away with it"? Group discounts are available to
any large group - the tour operators aren't in any way screwing the
lift company, although perhaps the client isn't always aware that some
of his money is being used to subsidise the reps' beer fund.

Ah... group rates. I see what you mean now. Yes, that would make sense.

although the workers obviously get their
passes at knock-down rates.

But only officially-sanctioned staff, and then normally only on a
whole-season pass.

Indeed - Espace Killy do monthly rolling ones to ensure the sacked
people can't continue to benefit. I believe also you don't get the
'free days in Les Arcs/3 Valleys/etc.' benefit that you do on a 'full'
season pass.

Hmmm.. maybe I'll have to ask around some
more company reps this winter...

I don't think you'd find many ready to blatantly break the rules
unless it were for a close friend.

No, I wouldn't expect them to - I'm just curious as to how twisted the
system is if you scratch beneath the surface. Personally, I'm looking
at only a 5% discount this year, unless my flat purchase completes in
the next 6 weeks in which case it's still only 20%. Got 50% last year
just for having the carte fidelite.. :-(

Anyway, I shall report back!

Matt