Old September 22nd 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Christopher Cox

Default Snow Board Bindings

I'm not sure that's actually bending the board, more that the board is
being bent hard in the turn allowing them to get their knees together.
In hardbooting it's not considered especially good technique - knees
apart is better.

Oh, he's bending it alright. I have tried it myself and it works rather
well. I am not a great boarder, but some of the best recommended it to
me. You can feel the difference (and awkwardness).

I'm not convinced that would actually let him go faster. Longer running
surface is generally better for glide, which is one reason why DH and
speed skis are so long. Plus I'm trying to imagine keeping any kind of
aerodynamic position while doing that, and failing...

He is rated 240 something in the world standings at this point. I am
with you as to the technique allowing for the board glide easier, or
more likely, since he is so low at that point he has very little wind
drag. My guess is the latter. The more you stand up, the more frontal
area you present, the more drag you create.

Chris