Old August 5th 03, 04:18 PM

In article ,
Jonathan Shefftz wrote:
I think this is becoming (if it hasn’t already become) the
definitive Silvretta-debate thread.

Andes commented negatively on both the 404 and 500/505, but
that’s just anecdotal. I’ve read thebackcountry.net
comments on Silvretta, but don’t give them much credence, as
they also claim the Diamir can’t be torque tested - the only
conceivable reason for this claim is that they don’t own a shop
torque tester, as a standard alpine downhill torque testers would work
just find for the Diamir.

_ Does Diamir claim this in their binding literature? I know that
Silvretta explictly states that you can't use a torque tester
reliably. Reliable binding testing only became a reality when
the boot manufacturers defined a precise standard for the boots
and bindings. A big part of this is the friction where the toe of
the boot rests on the binding. It's not clear to me that this is
standardized in any way with AT boots. Just because you can put
in a machine and get a number back doesn't mean that number is
repeatable.

_ I know the guys at Backcountry.net and have no reason to doubt
them when they make that claim. They may not have a torque
tester, but there is no shortage of them in the neighborhood. It
makes no sense for them to say that if it's not true. Heck if it
was true then much of your arguement that the diamir is safer
would hold more water.

The heel hold down mechanism is capable of mangling the plastic end of
the central rail, but always cleaning away any compressed snow/ice
before locking down into ski mode will prevent that.

_ This is one of the things I really like about the Silvretta
system you don't have to baby it in any way. If there's snow in
the heel piece, just stomp on it to clear it and away you go.

The only alpine
downhill or alpine touring binding I know of that is virtually
breakage-free is Dynafit.

_ Dynafit has had their problems as well. See Lou Dawson's page
on the Tri-step.

_ Booker C. Bense