Old February 7th 06, 03:47 PM

"fat_boy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Florian Anwander wrote:
Hi,

my experience is: Soll may be without snow in the valley but there will
be definitely snow up on the mountain in January. If there is no snow,
you won't have satisfying conditions anywhere in Tyrol.

And to comment AH: we have a nice continuous Winter this year (I am
located in Munich as AH), but it is not very unusual. I don't remember
more than one or two seasons in the last twenty years in which it was
impossible to ski down to the valley in january.

Florian

Mike Dodds wrote:

We got back from Soll just over a week ago. It was our first ski
holiday for
about 10 years and a return to Soll after 25 years. The snow is
fantastic
this year, as good or even better than in 1980 and 1981.

We'd like to book to go back next year, but I realise how lucky we've
been
this year. What has Soll and the Skiwelt been like in recent years when
they
have had to rely on artificial snow? We'd plan on going either the
first or
third week in January.

Cheers

Mike

There might be snow up top, but with a max vertical of 800 m, and loss
of snow in the valley cuts of runs below the gondola. And that means a
vertical of a few hundred meters.

This is true of most of Aaustria. If you dont mind yo-yo runs than OK,
but if you like more than a k vertical, then you are better off in a
cheap French resort like Risoul, which has good snow, height, and size.

Funny you bring up Risoul - my friends were there January last year and the
snow was terrible! I can't imagine it would be much better this year
considering the way things are at the big French resorts.

Florian sounds like he has experience in the matter (which I admit I don't)
and he says that no snow in the valley has only happened a couple of times
in around 20 years, so that is pretty snow sure to me..