Old November 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Technique Comparisons: Nordic Combined & You

It seems like the best skiers, and our role models, and those we want to
look like, are mostly the SMOOTHEST and easiest and most relaxed skiers.
They look like they're not working.

When I see guys even on the local circuit who I want to ski like it's
because they're smooth and easy as well.

When I see the frothing, attacking hammerheads, maybe their fitness would
be cool to have but there's nothing about their skiing that I'm after or
want to imitate.

So maybe there's more to this skiing perfectly stuff than I tend to
think. Maybe I should spend more time going slow---maybe I should at
least start out every workout going way slow. Maybe I should spend more
time doing balance and relaxation drills. Well, I think I'll start out
workouts this way from now on.

When I've gone faster in the past I know that I use what appears to
others to be an easy style. And I know that as I dial in my technique on
snow and in races that my main goal is to find a stable platform to rest
off of as I ski. So relaxation and the stability that lets us relax is
already a big part of my skiing. I need to add it better to my training.

--

Jeff Potter
****