Old October 19th 04, 12:38 AM
Rob Bradlee

--- Nathan Schultz wrote:

When should I do the program below if I want to peak for the Natl
Masters the first week on Feb?

Do it more than once? How much "normal" training in between blocks?

Could you mix in an early season race into a block?

Rob Bradlee

the
following block of training will give you a fairly good feel for
improvements while they are happening:
Day 1: Interval session 4x4 Roll SK at location 1.
Day 2: Interval session 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2.
Day 3: 4x4 Roll Classic location 3.
Day 4: 4x4 Roll SK location 1
Day 5: 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2
Day 6: 4x4 Roll CL Location 3.

Good luck, they really do work. They better, because doing a
block of
training like this can be pretty tough!

Nathan

"Tim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm wondering what readers of rec.nordic.skiing think of the

interval
block training that the US Ski Team, for instance, is doing this

year.
Is it the wave of the future, a fad, or not a good idea?

I'm thinking that this form of training reflects the demands of new
racing formats. With mass starts becoming the predominant race

format
and sprint racing ever growing - you need to be very powerful and

able
to run your heart to the redline often to hang with breaks. I

think
compressed blocks of interval sessions will acheive these this. I

also
think this is a ballsy move on the part of the USST to go this

route.
And I appreciate the fact that they taking risks that may get them
higher on the World Cup result lists.

But I'm sure other r.s.n have different opinions. And I think this
topic may make a good discussion thread.

I'm also wondering how the Canadians national team members may be
training different that the US. These days the Canadians may not

have
a Kris Freeman ... but man, they sure have depth!! I don't every
remember seeing such strength in numbers with the Canadian men

(look at
US Nationals results or New Zealand results). Have the Canadian

men
been inspired by Golden Beckie, do they subscribe to compressed
interval block training or is the beer in Canada these days really

that
much better than US beer!?!

TK

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training