Old March 12th 04, 04:38 PM
sjjohnston

Default Newbie skiier looking for equipment advice

"May Oh" wrote in message
news:a3JpbWluYWw=.69a59cd9b8d401fd97d278eb0070ce9e @1079049860.nulluser.com...
OK, so I just started skiing this season (actually, at the end of last
season) and I've been skiing on rentals all this time. I want to get my
own stuff, so I can feel like a real skiier. What kind of skiis should
I get? Should I be looking at end of season sales for bargains? All
those questions. I know people say, demo, but I wouldn't know what to
look for.

As noted above, the general consensus in the world is that getting your own,
special, fit-you-perfectly boots is a higher priority than the skis. People
often advise beginners to get their own boots and go on renting skis for a
while. Among the reasons for this is that the skis that will work the best
for you at this stage will likely not be the best skis for you pretty soon.

If you do keep renting, look into the "performance" or "demo" rentals. Some
of the same slopeside rental places that slap boards on the feet of ski
school students also have a "demo" rack. Also, most retail ski shops rent
demos for a weekend.

I haven't heard of this sort of program for adults (then again, I've never
asked ...), but there are shops that rent kid's skis by the season for a
pretty reasonable amount. Maybe someone does the same with adult skis.

If you really want to buy skis, try going to the two or three best shops in
the area and talk to the salesmen about what they recommend. Then you can
second guess them all you want, but the info may be useful. Of course, you
may live somewhere that lacks good ski shops. I don't know.