Old December 6th 10, 03:09 AM posted to alt.skiing,rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Default America's disappearing ski bum

The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/05/10 11:02, Bob F wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
On 11/30/10 23:19, Evojeesus wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:19 am, The Real wrote:
On 11/30/10 13:08, Evojeesus wrote:

And what if you get diabetes, macular degeneration or cancer
and don't have insurance? How does that work in corpotocratic
medicine?

You show up at the hospital and they take care of you for free.
They have to do that.

So if you show up with cancer they have to assign you an
oncologist and all that and start the necessary multi-month
treatments? Is that going to to be good quality cancer-care if
you don't have insurance?

I don't really know. I *know* that people get rotten quality
cancer care even with 100% coverage (yeah, that's possible) just
because you choose the wrong hospital which uses the wrong
doctors. Some problems can't be cured by throwing money at them.
Maybe expanding medical schools and making admissions merit-only
would help, but the results of that won't show up for quite a
while anyway. Upon reflection -- yeah, you show up at the emergency room
with
mysterious symptoms which turn out to be advanced cancer and I'd be
willing to bet money that they wouldn't kick you back out on the
street.

If you were one of the lucky ones. Ever read the stories of people
dumped on skid road in hospital gowns? It happens.

Yes, but around here we call it Skid Row. Such people are generally
mentally challenged in some way and are unable to cope in ANY way.
That doesn't make it any nicer, of course, but who is supposed to pay
for the care of such people?

Such people are people without insurance. period. They don't get free care the
same as insured people. They get stabilized and released, sometimes without any
support for sick weakened patients. The lie that anyone gets free care is just
that - a lie.