Old September 18th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe,uk.rec.motorcycles
Roger Moss[_4_]

Default OT in some locations: New skis

"Jérémy" wrote in message
(x-posted to ukrm in case no-one uses the ski groups any longer)

With great sadness I think I'm going to have to give up my old X-Screams.
The bases remain as indestructible as ever, but the gimmicky shock
absorbers on top are leaking some horrible sticky black substance.

I have taken no notice of current ski trends for several years, and I
have no idea what is on offer these days, so I'm looking for suggestions
to narrow the field.

I am 179cm and weigh 76kg. Ski style toute neige tout terrain - I enjoy
bumps, I like silly tricks on the piste (but I only jump in a straight
line, I'm too old for any more ski injuries), but mostly I ski off piste
in any conditions. I love steep couloirs when I'm in practice, but
anything is probably going to be shorter than what I have now anyway. The
skis will get Diamir bindings, so no silly modular stuff. Skins will only
be for occasional use for access and insurance against route finding
cock-ups (I have touring skis), but I'd still prefer the skis not be too
heavy. Obviously I don't need the latest fad, last year's classic would
be ideal, especially if I can pick them up cheap in the early season
sales (I live in the Alps, so I have plenty of shops to choose from).

So, what should I be looking at?

--
Jeremy
R1200RT

Whatever you decide, if you're in the Alps then you should definitely be
looking at http://achat-ski.com/ for some of the best deals.

I picked up a pair of previous season's Rossignol B3s at around 60-70%
discount - some real bargains to be had if you don't 'need' latest fad
graphics!

But you already knew that...

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude