Old March 24th 06, 09:10 PM

Eddy Rapid wrote:
Congratulations to Ousland and Horn.

Not as long of a ski as the Weber-Malakov expedition of 1995 though.
They went from Canada (Ward Hunt) to the Pole and back self-supported
(left Feb 14, got to the North Pole May 12, and got back on June 15)

http://www.matthewhenson.com/attack.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~cookpeary/photographs.html

Sure!

There have been several longer ski trips made over the years, among them
the recent "take the long way across" crossing of the South Pole.

The key to Ousland/Horn was that they did it all during the polar
winter, i.e. not a single day with visible sun.

On NRK he told about some serious problems the day (night?) they had to
cross (by swimming!) 6 or 7 stretches of open sea, while the air
temperature was -40 C/F, in pitch black darkness.

Ouch!

To me this is getting into the 'I want to be the first person to climb
Mt Everest while seated in a Lazy-Boy' territory.

Terje

--
-