Old February 26th 04, 04:00 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Default skate ski home flex test question .. help!

Well, I've been told by by shops that normal flex tests don't really
work with Atomic skates because of its pressure distribution. I'm not
sure it that's a flex tester or the board, too. I have a pair of
original Beta race skates (the red ones) which everyone has found to be
much softer than the label #s suggest, but have been told that for
accurate measurement they would have to be sent back to Rick Halling at
Atomic (he picked them for me).

Gene

Chris Cline wrote:

--0-722344745-1077740770=:18042

Hi Phil-
I guess I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time...). I didn't think that paper tests were relevant for skating skis. Goes to show what I know. I apologize to the original poster (Chris3?) for answering so authoritatively about something that I can stand some learning on myself.
thanks for the (better) information--
Chris

"p.bowen" wrote:
you must do a paper test to properly select skating skis. if you can
compress a skate ski to the point that it closes under foot, it is too
soft for you. that ski will lose stability, especially in harder
conditions. paper testing is also valuable to analyze the glide zones
and make sure that the ski has the right pressure distribution and
that the transitions from the pocket to the glide zones are smooth.

that said, paper testing at home is an absolute no no. floors are not
flat, and accurate results are almost surely impossible to acheive.

as far as atomics go, the larger number (eg 70) should be ~90% of your
body weight in kilos. so a 70 is for 170+ lb person. there's a lot
more to it than that, but it's a good place to start. btw, 70 is not
a kg measure of the closing weight of that ski, it would take
substantially more to flatten it.

anyway. to add to the grist mill,

-phil at gearwest
www.gearwest.com
877 473 4327

--0-722344745-1077740770=:18042

DIVHi Phil-/DIV
DIVI guess I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time...).  I didn't think that paper tests were relevant for skating skis.  Goes to show what I know.  I apologize to the original poster (Chris3?) for answering so authoritatively about something that I can stand some learning on myself./DIV
DIVthanks for the (better) information--/DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBI"p.bowen" >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"you must do a paper test to properly select skating skis. if you canBRcompress a skate ski to the point that it closes under foot, it is tooBRsoft for you. that ski will lose stability, especially in harderBRconditions. paper testing is also valuable to analyze the glide zonesBRand make sure that the ski has the right pressure distribution andBRthat the transitions from the pocket to the glide zones are smooth.BRBRthat said, paper testing at home is an absolute no no. floors are notBRflat, and accurate results are almost surely impossible to acheive.BRBRas far as atomics go, the larger number (eg 70) should be ~90% of yourBRbody weight in kilos. so a 70 is for 170+ lb person. there's a lotBRmore to it than that, but it's a good place to start. btw, 70 is notBRa kg measure of the closing weight of that ski, it would takeBRsubstantially more to flatt!
en
it.BRBRanyway. to add to the grist mill,BRBR-phil at gearwestBRwww.gearwest.comBR877 473 4327BRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mailtag_us/*http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools?tool=1"Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard/a - Read only the mail you want./a