Old September 25th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Booker Bense

Default Volkl T-Rock mid-chord? or mid-sole mount?

In article .com,
Cruiser Joe wrote:
Hey there,

does anyone know if Volkl T-rock's should be mounted at mid-chord or
mid-sole?

I've always mounted my own tele bindings at mid-chord...but these skis
have a mid-sole mark on the edges like an alpine ski.
hmmmmm....what's up with that? Any suggestions? or is that intended
for people using AT bindings?

Many people are happy with Ball of Foot/Center of running
surface. This takes into account the size of your foot and
tends to be further forward than traditional mounting methods.

Poke around www.telemarktips.com for an article about how to
use this method.

Personally, I think finding the right mount point for you and
your skis is one of the more tricky bits of telemark skiing.
Since I have Bishop Bombers and don't care about drilling extra
holes if I think it will help, I've been doing a lot of
experimenting in this area over the past couple seasons.

I definitely notice differences of 1cm and what works for
one ski tends not work as well for other skis. This mostly
has to do with how much time you spend in powder vs carving
on hard snow. If you're mostly skiing on hard snow, a
forward mount helps a lot with carving, but can make the ski
squirrely in powder. Twin tips confuse the issue even further.

As a general rule of thumb, I think most traditional methods
( pins on balance point, pins on chord center [1]) put the
boot much too far back if you're skiing stiff plastic boots
on relatively fat skis. I often end up at least 2-3cm in
front of that and on stiff carving skis, I will be up to
6cm in front of that.

In short, I think it's really worth experimenting with changing
the mount point on at least one pair of skis to see what works
for you and the way you ski.

_ Booker C. Bense

[1]- these are fine for light boots on more traditional skis.