Old February 18th 05, 01:32 AM
VtSkier

H.W. Stockman wrote:
"Booker C. Bense"
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Feb.17.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...
[...]

_ As for the original poster, you might try poking around
ebay or garage sales for a Nordic Track trainer. Here's
what I mean

http://tinyurl.com/49blg

_ You can get them used fairly cheap and they do provide
a good ski specific workout.

I wasn't specific enough in stating what I wanted. I don't have any problem
with a diamond glide; I am much more interested in regaining turning skills
so I can ski down a slope amid trees without as great a chance of serious
injury. I'm aerobically fit; as I said, I routinely run 10 miles at a shot,
and more important, I do one tiring hike over very rough, trailless
territory each week (usually with class 3 or 4 rock). In fact, the latter
activity makes a lot of people think that I am being overly cautious about
skiing.

(me, me, me:
http://hwstock.org/bp/html/Traverse.htm
http://hwstock.org/dams/html/DSCN6660.htm
http://hwstock.org/bripi/html/FlyingHarlan.htm
)

But my affliction requires lots of specific training so I can learn to
replace cerebellar control with cerebral control. This process is very
inefficient (there is a reason the cerebellum, though only 10% of the
brain's mass, has 60% of the neurons). I walked over 200 miles on sidewalk
curbs to regain my balance; and I took every opportunity to walk over any
rough surface, and I graded my hikes to successively harder and harder
terrain. My right foot still doesn't always move as predicted, so I've
learned to use my left foot to lead in many tight situations. Now I have to
do the same thing with skiing motions, particularly the fast motions in
turns. I'll find a way.

Thanks all, sincerely, for your help; this discussion has given me food for
thought.

Is there anything like Vermont Adaptive Sports near where
you are? They run adaptive ski programs for anyone afflicted
with anything which requires special consideration from a
leg that doesn't work quite well to blindness.

There are programs at Pico, Ascutney (I think they still
have a program) and Sugarbush that I know of in Vermont and
I'm sure there are programs in other states.

My guess is that you need someone to show you drills on
skis that will get your brain talking to your leg again,
like you did walking curbs to help regain your balance.

VtSkier