Old December 29th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Scratch one snowboarder

On 12/28/2010 10:46 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:14 pm, Ted wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
One of the articles I read (AP maybe) mentioned that nobody was wearing
a helmet. Jesus christ, next they'll be mentioning lack of helmets in
car crashes.

Yeah well, anyone that wears a helmet to ski and doesn't wear one to
walk down the street or drive a car is posing and wearing it for show.
Whether they know it or not.

I like wearing a helmet skiing, because my head is much warmer with a
balaclava and a helmet, and most of the time if I fall, it is because I
lose an edge on the ice, and it is a nice reassurance. I guess the wind
breaker aspect seems to be a plus for a helmet..

I also wear a helmet biking, even though the evidence is murky about the
benefits, and Unlike skiing, my head becomes a steam bath..

There is this video about some of the irrationality of bike helmets and
bike helmet campaigns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-T...eature=related

In some ways, yes, car drivers should be wearing mandatory helmets
(besides five point seat belts) but even mitigatory safety standards
will not alleviate or solve the problem of major trauma accidents..

Anyway Non OB Ski, this is an uber cool website...

http://www.copenhagenize.com/

I grew up in Northern Vermont, and I had a paper route. I found I
could deliver all my papers in my lunch hour until winter ice and snow
made using the bicycle impossible. And I never wore a helmet then,
although I always wear one now after a couple of nasty accidents (rear
ended by a car one time and launched over the handlebars when the
front wheel came to a sudden stop in a pile of sand in another).

The day after I bought my sons helmets, one of them fell while trying
to get on a chairlift. The chair left a nice scratch in the helmet
just above his right ear, but no damage to his head.

I tend to like my helmet as a nice hat and
figure that I ski fast enough so that if I
should biff big, I'll probably break my neck
and no helmet will save me.

Having said that...
I have a helmet stashed away here someplace
with a bit of wood embedded in it from a
horizontal snag placed about 5 feet above
the snow that I tried to ski under.

Hey, there were other ski track under it and
no blood on the ground.