Old December 22nd 09, 08:24 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

US only vids :-(

I know for a fact it's not easy to make it to the top of the sport you like. Even if the body doesn't put much in the way of success.
I've been blessed, until 2003 at least, with prime health and a body built for one thing : speed endurance. Between 5 and 45 minutes of it, preferably. Without real help from coaches (one year) or or sponsors (one year, my employer, got me a slow bike and ungly outfit and nothing else) I did win my humble share of races and competitions, in the country also housing Olympic and World champs in all bike sports I tried.
Now, going less mainstream with XC Skiing (2003 health turn : summer allergies bringing me disastrous asthma) I notice how much of an uphill struggle ir really is.
Right this moment, I am contemplating where I should click "submit" to buy me a EUR1000 one-week skiing trip anywhere, or just stay at home bummed, but with 1000 in the pocket I really can use very well for security. I may be clumsy as hell and old as a steam train, but I have an ambition, and I am noticing how hard it is. Self-motivation seems to be the key driver to suggest. Yes, wealth helps. Some people can pretty much NOT have a job, and hang off the back of world cup fields. I have no idea how to fund such a life style. Hanging off the back of that field is not the hard part, trust me. I've done that. The hard part is to be able to consistently persue your sport and do the best imaginable, within reason, to get better. And then to buy the ticket to the next race, and proper hotel, with your wax man/coach/driver.
Skiing is elitist to all but a few lucky ones who were born on a ski bully, whether we like that ot not.
Make me think of Shany Davos for some reason. He grew up in a Chicago 'hood I seem to remember, where all his (black) buddies did short track skating. Only at a big state tournament he saw white folks on ice skate. "What, white folks also skate?". No way the guy would have gotten into the sport, having been a fast runner with interest in ice, coming from the outside. And he clearly is a genetical freak.
So, starting them young is great. If a kid loves a sport having tried it, and is fast to boot, help them out a bit. And for the kids that are fast at something else, help them out as well. I'm born in one of the richest countries of the world, and I always wanted to do competitive sports. But somehow, I had to self-fund it all my life. Bought my own bikes, club memberships, everything. Even a country with Olympic champs, has a hard time getting freaks like myself to enter clubs.
Maybe the strange US school sports system is better for this. I hate the scholarship thing though, that's not of this world. Want to go to school - get good grades first, look for sports options later.

Rant out.