Old November 25th 03, 09:07 PM
Luke

Default Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

Mount Bachelor and Mount Baker are your best options. The upper lifts at
Timberline and Meadows are more likely to be closed than Mt. Bachelor
bringing the advertised vertical down quite a bit. You can't make it to
snow cat land without a lot of hiking when Cascade express and Palmer are
closed (high lifts at Meadows and Timberline respectively). Mt. Baker has
much better bowls and powder than anywhere that I now about (world record
snowfall was there) but has a slow lift system (no high speed quads as all
the lifts and everything else in the area are diesel powered perhaps adding
to its beauty and lack of commercialization).

Mount Bachelor will have few lines, faster lifts and more vertical per
minute spent at the resort than possibly anywhere in the US. There is also
great freeriding on the back of the mountain which offers great back country
riding when not icy and the Summit lift is open. Otherwise the Northwest
Express takes you up over 2,200 vertical feet without having to get off and
go to another lift.

If you must go to Hood than go to meadows but I say Bachelor lots of riding,
Baker for powder and steeps and Hood for metro area accessibility.