Old May 10th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

Default ObSki: another run with flatboarding

Idonno, As I watched you can see that he is doing some pivoting. He is
forward. He is pulling back on the inside ski an inch or 2. (watch the legs
separate and change places) He is actively flexing his skis so that they
deform or "bow" and engage the snow with edges. He isn't bothering with
poles--(I often don't both with them either when I'm cruising.) He is
keeping his upper body still for balance--sticking out his arms help balance
and keeps one from dropping them behind and letting them pull you of balance
or counter rotating his shoulders to keep them across the fall line--or at
least letting his lower body steer independently of his upper body( compare
the knees to the shoulders). All in all, it is solid technique. If he
likes to think that he is keeping his skis flat and not transitioning from
edge to edge, let him. (He is though, if you look closely).And if he finds
his description helps communicate the sport to others, where's harm?

PS. we are still skiing in the Eastern Sierra even though it has been a
relatively low snow year for us. The lower mountain has shut down however
(Little Eagle and Canyon Lodge) Everything is out of Main Lodge.

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
taichiskiing wrote:

washout by new progress/technique