Old February 28th 05, 04:26 PM
Mike T

Actually it seems that ski boot technology is getting a snowbarding
influenced update as well. Take a look at the Rossignol soft series, which
combine plastics and buckles with soft materials and lacing systems.

The mainstream likes to be comfortable.

I would like to refine your statement:

"The mainstream likes to be comfortable walking around in their boots".

I ride both hard and soft and when riding, both are comfortable. My hard
boots are in fact a little bit more comfortable when riding, probably
because it is IMHO easier to tweak hardboots for a better fit. But when
walking around, no argument, soft are more comfy.

I will also agree that it is easier to get a good fit with unmodified soft
boots vs. unmodified hard boots, for no other reason than there are many
more choices with soft. But keep in mind, the 3 major brands of hard boots
offer models with at least partially moldable moldable liners, and simply
molding them is often the only modification one needs. The modifictions to
both my hard and soft boots are limited to adding a custom footbed and
molding the liner.

Mike T