Old February 3rd 05, 12:08 PM

Baka Dasai wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:13:55 -0500, Waco Paco said (and I quote):
One thing with the boas is that you can't customize the
tightness. I usually like it a little looser around the toes and

tight
around the ankles and upnear the shins. But with the boas its

either
tight all around or loose all around.

My gf went riding with a friend the other day, and the friend was
suffering from this exact problem with her BOA lacing system. She

would
tighten her boots, but then the forefoot would be too tight, so she
would loosen them, and then the ankle/shin would be too loose.

It's a bad design IMO.
--
What was I thinking?

I've had the Vans Contra's which are BOA boots for two seasons now.
IMO, it's the perfect lacing system. The do tighten uniformly, which I
think is a plus, not a negative. If the boot requires special
tightening of the laces, IMO, then the boot probably doesn't fit right
to begin with. Plus, I find it hard to believe that tightening regular
laces tighter in one place than another is going to last very long, as
there is no good way to hold it in place. I would think regular laces
would just start to gradually slip back to more uniform tightening.
I've always found that it takes considerable time to get regualar laces
to tighten uniformly, with BOA it happens automatically.

With the BOA system, the boots go on in a few seconds, and tightne
uniformly. I just partially tighten them at first, then at the top of
the first run, just wind the ratchet and tighten them down to the point
I like. You can also release them easily while taking a break by just
pulling out the ratchet knob and re-tighten in a couple seconds when
ready to go. You can also adjust them on the slope in a snap if you
desire.

Never had a cable break, nor would I expect to. The cable is steel and
looks very strong, certainly an order of magnitude stronger than laces.
If you're worried about it, the solution is to take the extra cable
that they give you with you on trips. Would never go back to regular
lacing system again.