Old February 22nd 14, 11:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare[_2_]

Default Late season ski trip to Wengen/Grindelwald for a total beginner?

On 20/02/2014 21:28, Rod wrote:
Hoping some of the few remaining resident gurus here could give a bit
of advice...

I'm thinking of whether a late season trip to Wengen or Grindelwald
with a total ski novice is a viable idea. Now I know the local ski
areas in both locations is closed by then, but as far as I can tell
the Kleine Scheidegg area is open to the 22 April, assuming the snow
lasts.

I've read suggestions that the nusery area at Klein Scheidegg is OK.
However although I have skiied in the area a few years ago I have no
recollection of whats its like for beginners - and obviously its still
not that high for mid-April.

Would I be better off discounting this area and either looking for
somewhere a bit higher or postponing to next season (though my
companion has pretty restrictive holiday options)? I was thinking
that at least the area is pretty for a first time skiier (I'm not that
bothered by how much skiing there is for me - more concerned I dont
put off a somewhat hesitant beginner with an unpleasant experience).

Thanks

Rod

The Trockener Steg/ Theodulus pass area at Zermatt may well be open late
as it is mostly a glacier.

--
Michael Chare