Old August 6th 03, 09:19 PM
Jonathan Shefftz

I don’t understand why a torque tester would not be valid on the
Diamir, since the whole point of the test is to determine whether the
digits on the binding setting really do correspond with decanewtons of
torque, correct? Now of course just because the binding releases
within the expected parameters in a shop setting does not mean it will
always perform properly on snow (i.e., exposed to complicated
combination loads and multiple contaminants), but that’s the
same problem with alpine downhill bindings, not just with the Diamir.
I did check some binding manuals: my Rossi alpine downhill race
bindings and Diamir II manuals never refer to testing the release
settings, just vaguely instruct the user to bring the bindings to a
specialized shop each year for inspection and readjustment. The Rossi
and Diamir manuals provide identical release setting charts. By
contrast, the original Diamir instructions were more lengthy (maybe
Fritschi wanted to cut back on paper costs in later years?!?), and
after explaining to the user how to select the correct value from the
setting chart, section 4.5 states, “Check of binding setting to
make sure that it is in acccordance with ISO standards: adjust if
necessary.” That sounds like a reference to a shop torque
tester to ensure that the #s match up with physical reality, but then
again something could be lost in the translation from the original
Swiss German.
Another tidbit: the Fritschi Rave alpine downhill binding uses the
same heel unit as the Diamir. The toe unit is somewhat different, but
has the same design of placing the release spring inside the central
rail.
The odd part about the DII/III/FR heel lockdown is that the original
Diamir had a design that was immune to such mangling. I don’t
see why Fritschi made such an “improvement” (unless they
had to pare down weight somewhere to offset the heavier central rail
on the DII).
Re Dynafit, I’m familiar with its many annoying inconveniences
(based both on Lou’s excellent website, other stories, and some
- unintentionally - hilarios stories from friends) and also long-term
wear issues, but I’ve never heard of a sudden breakage that
signficiantly impaired its functionality. I guess w/ so few moving
parts, there’s just not much to break!