Old January 17th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

Default Stupid helmet question ...

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:12:06 +0000, Alun Evans
| wrote:
|
| On Wed 17 Jan '07 at 12:38 Mike Clark wrote:
|
| I've never worn a helmet for skiing or cycling, and am sceptical about
| their efficacy. I work on the basis that I've fallen loads of time,
| including head plants, and never damaged my head, so the sort of
| impact I'd like to protect against is much greater than those I've
| experienced. Unfortunately, in the case of massive impact, the level
| of protection provided by cycle and ski helmets is woefully
| inadequate, as far as I can tell, so I'll either wear a proper helmet,
| such as I use(d) for motorcycling, or not bother.
|
| Anyhoo, your sample size is clearly too small to draw conclusions from
| - I've personally witnessed dozens of ski and board accidents wear the
| head has made contact with sme other surface or object and never seen
| any major trauma - doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that in all of
| the cases I've witnessed the wearing of a helmet would have provided
| no benefit.
|
| I don't want to turn this into a helmet-wars argument, such as used to
| come around periodically on the cycling newsgroups (probably still do,
| but I've not been active there for years). I would certainly never try
| to persuade anyone that they're not a good idea, as long as no-one
| tells me that I should wear one;-)

It's a tough question, and clearly - given this incident on Monday ...

http://mysnowsports.com/News/article/sid=683.html

.... there are instances when a helmet would provide no protection
whatsoever. Still, there are multiple minor incidents when a helmet
could lessen the impact sufficiently to make it worthwhile - not least
when some out-of-control skier/boarder takes you out from behind. It's
not all down you taking a fall through your own foolishness/bad
luck/lack of technique/lack of awareness of the conditions...

Given the state of the snow around the Alps at the moment, I reckon at
least all youngsters should be strongly advised to wear one. As for
adults... I reckon it should remain their choice.

Still, hopefully there'll be some snow at last, next week! Some
promising forecasts, but don't get too excited ;-)

Pete