Old November 19th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Turning on flat skis?

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
On Nov 18, 12:58 pm, VtSkier wrote:

I'm confused. In Part 2 we saw a lot of footage
of racer dudes (& dudettes) working very hard
to be up on their edges. The slalom skier skidded
a bit more than the GSers, but none-the-less
was trying hard not to.

My guess what he tries to say is that at the best you get 2% of pure
carving and 98% of skidding/sideslipping turn even in racing. He
doesn't seem to distinguish "skidding" and "slipping" neither, but he
does occasionally use "slipping edges" to make "slipping turns."

Then the instructor type guy (especially in Part 1)
showed all of his turns skidded. This guy was doing
'flat ski' until he got into the really steep
when he was bouncing off his edges and skidded
rarely if at all, since each turn started from
edges and ended up on edges (opposite).

His "turning on flat skis" is another example of "line-skiing." He may
not come to admit, but he is a flatboarder/flatskier.

Are we at all sure this is 'modern' technique?

Methinks that he may have issues with 'modern' "teaching" as well as
he derides the pure carve and RRT turns, or he just reinvented the
classic--skidded-turns, more practical.

It looks for all the world what I was learning
in the 60's for effective braking turns.
Make a platform (traverse strongly edged)
Release edges, perform turning maneuver
(steering or hop)
Bring skis around to opposite direction traverse
Set edges
Repeat

He teaches the beginner parallel turn by teaching her sideslipping
first,

IMO, a good way. It gives a tool for control
without resorting to the leg destroying
wedge/snowplow.

And it's not new.

It is precisely what the CSIA has been teaching for some time, now.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia