Old July 11th 03, 10:48 AM
Primoz Jeroncic

Default Victor Hugo Pena as a XC Skier

Serge wrote:

I've read about Nike experiment:

They sponsored world -class marathoners from Africa (Camerun, I think)
and ship them to Norway for two years to learn to ski.
I guess, to prove the "just do it" slogan. So they sucked so much they
could've
walk faster than ski. Cost Nike pretty penny. Good. I never liked the
slogan
anyway.
You can not "just do it", you have to work, some times for years.

There were 2 or 3 Kenyans in Finland for quite a while. And in Nagano
that guy was promissing to do some serious ass kicking in SLC. Well
he did... he beat Camerun guy for almost 30 sec on 10km. Not to
mention he was about 20min back from first one.
And biggest stupidity in all this for me is, that Finnish Ski
Federation was paying all their expenses, which include trainers,
equipment etc. And no probably not something else as someone might
suggest ))
It just shows that for skiing you need something else then being
good runner, and looking back on some thread here... Being good
runner doesn't make you good skier and vice versa.
And I agree. Just do it is a bit annoying. It makes people think it's
so easy.

Now I'm off for Scandinavia for 3 weeks Have fun during this time

--
Primoz
Support - IP/VoIP Connectivity & Routing