Old October 31st 03, 06:26 PM
funkraum

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

Ian Spare wrote:

Because we like things to be discussed openly and the proponent
(sensibly) included "your" (note the inverted commas) group in the
crosspost.

It was kinda sneaky to snip all other x-posted groups from the
follow-up, though...

That is the standard practice with the uk.* hierarchy. The announcement
of the RFD is made in the moderated uk.net.news.announce newsgroup[1] and

For anyone that's not popped over to the uk group let me give you
flavor :-) It's like RSA on a bad day, the thread about this new group
has descended into some off-topic name calling which looks more like
IRC then anything else.

[...]

New groups are normally created to bleed off excess traffic from the
original, such as rec.aviation.military spawning
rec.aviation.military.naval.

rec.skiiing.resoirts.europe is not choked with traffic and handles
Atlantic seaboard traffic up to the point where the signal mingles
with de.rec.alpinismus broadcasting out of München.

Creating a new group will not generate any more traffic and the group
will die, so go ahead.