Old October 28th 03, 10:17 AM
Ace

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:56:57 +0000, Paul Giverin
wrote:

In message , Alex Heney
writes
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:33:04 +0000, Paul Giverin
wrote:

I've explained it several times now so I'm not going to waste my time
repeating myself.

Or can't.

I said won't.

So?

The evidence points to "can't". If you could give a reasoned
explanation, you probably would have done.

OK I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as you seem to be struggling
with the obvious.

You said that you would vote against this group in order to protect a
group in another hierarchy. If everyone adopted this practice, we could
have the situation where no new groups were created in the uk.*
hierarchy because users of other groups in other hierarchies were voting
to protect those groups.

So you're simply saying, if I may paraphrase, "The existence or
otherwise of the proposed group will not actually affect me personally
in any way whatsoever, but if its formation is rejected, for reasons
not entirely clear to me, it may establish a precedent which might,
one day, affect me directly" ?

In other words, as An answer to my question "How will the existence or
otherwise of this group affect you personally" can only be taken as
"It won't".

I do not believe the existence of a group in another hierarchy is a
valid reason for preventing the creation of a new group in the uk.*
hierarchy and I will use my vote to counter any attempts to undermine
the uk.* hierarchy in this way.

And I do not believe anyone who has no interest in contributing to a
proposed group[1] has any business even talking about it, let alone
voting one way or the other as a matter of principle.

Now if you still can't understand what I'm saying then that's tough
luck. I won't spell it out again and don't intend commenting any
further.

What you're saying is crystal clear. It'l be nice not to have to see
it any more.

[1] Notwithstanding those whose role it is to take steps to create and
disseminate it, of course.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)