Old March 9th 13, 08:45 PM
skiman skiman is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ontario

I am very familiar with Scorpion Skis. I still have 4 pair. I don't think is a good to move the bindings forward. They were designed to have the binding at the back . i have taught many people to ski on them. Once their technique was learned (which didn't take very long) and their confidence level was increased a pupil could go to normal skis. However, the skis today making learning 100% easier. Years ago the scorpions were used by Helicopter ski companies because they could guarantee almost anyone 2000 feet of skiing. The ski floats up in powder . On hard pack because the binding is at the back ,if a pupil (especially women) sat back, the back of the skis hit the snow and pushed the pupil forward without them really knowing what was happening.When a pupil then tried regular ski their technique was already learned.
The original skis were made of the same material a bullet-proof Glass . therefore were indestructable.
you can e-mail me if you need more info.
Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercam View Post
Anyone on here remember the short Scorpion ski, late 70's early 80's - I
seem to recall quite a lot of hype over them when launced, but want to know
what they were primarily designed for.

Reason is that I have picked a pair up via Ebay which I intend to use as
short approach skis for touring as they are quite a bit wider (90mm) and
longer than my normal approach skis (108) so should be a little better for
climbing in deep powder.

I'll fit my Dynafit bindings to them - point is that for normal use the
binding was towards the back - and I intend to move them more to the middle,
or as far as I can get away with for fitting my ski crampons.

Any advice / help appreciated.

Regards