Old February 17th 13, 01:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default Alps this year

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:58:18 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:58:51 +0000, PipL wrote:

I think I can safely say that snow isn't a problem in the Alps this year,
certainly not in Flaine.

Yeah, tons of the stuff all over the place. I imagine Flaine was
brilliant.

Even just the easy-to-get-at stuff was; that's pretty much all I skied. Oh, I
did the Corblanche black run on the snowboard: bloody brilliant i thigh-high
powder, albeint getting a bit choppy.

I also /need/ some all-mountain skis and another week's off-piste training.

Practice. No substitute for miles under skis. Of course training is
great, but unless you do enough 'variable' snow skiing it's likely to
go to waste.

I'm sure you're right: there's no substitute for practice. One advantage of a
course though is that one gets to ski with people of a roughly similar
standard.

Come out to Engelberg one of these years and I'll show
you what it's all about.

I'll take you up on that.

A lot of the current crop of skis bear such logos, but on many of them
there's no sign of ab actual rocker. My off-piste tools of the last
couple of seasons are Salomon Czars, and you can really see the front
67cm (it says it on the ski) lift well up from the snow on a flat
piste. Makes carving 'interesting' as and when the front part engages
the snow part-way through a turn ;-)

I guess there must be a lean angle at which the entire ski suddenly engages
with the snow, yes?

Maybe you should bite the bullet and go for a more dedicated off-piste
ski, rather than trying to find one 'all-rounder'.

Well, I was thinking of just having the one pair, assuming that I won't always
be driving. But it is tempting. At the moment, pressure from 'er Ladyship's
job means that I can't take much over a week away at a time like I used to be
able, and I reckon that per day of skiing, an eight-skiing-day week (well,
realistically 7.5 days of skiing), travelling alone, costs about 8-9 quid more
per skiing day than flying would. It's a lot more convenient, though.

Doesn't it echo in here, now?

Heh. Does a bit. Usually pick up a few replies though, mostly from
ukrm residents.

And out of the trees....
--

Pip