Old May 30th 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Elan Vector 157

wrote in message
Well... I know skiing and I'm not sure does it helps me in riding a
board... :$ (?)

I don't how about you guys, but I've just read, from local shop's
website, that renting (boots+bindings+board) costs a little more than
$20... I find it pretty expensive if you take in consideration that I
can get a board, boots OR bindings for just 3 of those rides. I mean,
it's not that I'm Rockefeller...
The above idea of renting got into my head as well, but I wasn't
really sure how much will it REALLY pay me out, due to pricing, and,
actually, that's the main reason why I came here for - to ask you,
pro's, for a bit of advice and help...
When I'm already buying something, let it be the RIGHT stuff...

And as for crashes... I fell from bicycle a day before yesterday and
almost lost my jaw. Lucky for me, I got thru just with few future
scars and lot of scratches...

One of the differences in riding is that you can control the edges changes
differently from the front to the back of the board. You can actually twist the
board, so that the front of the board releases the edge, while the back of the
board edge is still engaged. Learning to do this early in your learning process
will help make your turns much more reliable, with much less chance of catching
an edge and crashing.

If you get a really good deal on used equipment, it's not a bad way to start.
Actually, I've never bought a new board, and I've had a lot of good riding. I
did get a new pair of boots, but they were $20 at a thrift shop. A lucky find.